Tuesday, January 1, 2008

2008 Medical Writing Resolutions

Every December, my wife and I write our "next year's project" with the goals we want to achieve in every area of our life (spiritual, family, career, and personal). The 2008 project, I confess, hasn't been written (we just got back to the country yesterday). But we'll get to write it soon.

Now, all this made me think about my medical writing goals for 2008. Looking back at the 2007 project, I did meet the goals of leading some sessions at the AMWA Annual Conference and writing a book. While I think about my goals for 2008, I want to encourage you to write your own medical writing resolutions for this year and to review them every once in a while. Below are some "sample resolutions" that you can fit to your needs.
  • Publish 5-10 health-related articles in consumer health publications
  • Attend the AMWA Annual Conference (or a chapter conference)
  • Enroll in a medical writing certificate or graduate program
  • Submit my CV to medical writing recruiters
  • Write a book in my area of expertise (or collaborate with an expert)
  • Increase my number of freelance clients by 20%
  • Leave my job and become a freelancer (or vice versa)
  • Create my own Web site and market my writing/editing services
  • Start a blog on my area of expertise
  • Go to medical school (not recommended for everyone!)
  • Increase my rates (for freelancers)
  • Obtain a salary raise (check out this article about getting a bigger raise)
If you are up to it, I suggest you add completion dates in advance to every goal and write down specific actions you need to take to accomplish them. Finally, share your goals with people that can help you achieve them. This will boost your success chances greatly.

P.S. May I suggest a great book to start your 2008 project? Read  The Success Principles by Jack Canfield.

No comments: